|Years of Operation:||1913 – 1972|
|Ounces of Gold Produced:||140,709|
Upper Beaver Mine (Past Producer)
Au, Ag, Cu
Approximately 12 miles east of Kirkland Lake, adjacent to the Gauthier-McVittie township boundary, in northeastern Gauthier Township. Patented claims L2586, L2587, L2601,and L2602. Main (No.3) Shaft in claim L2587. Latitude 48.1 T, Longitude 79.770 . Map reference: ODM 50c, Township of Gauthier (Beaverhouse Lake).
GEOLOGY: Andesitic pillow lava is overlain by felsic volcanic tuff and breccia. The northwest-striking andesite is intruded by syenite porphyry and the whole assemblage cut by a north-trending diabase dike. All rocks except the diabase are cut by a series of shear zones containing quartz-carbonate and sulphide veins. The mineralization occurs in bedded cherty tuff and in the following types of veins: 1. Narrow massive sulphide veins consisting of chal copyrite and magnetite, with minor quartz, calcite, and pyrite. Gold content is proportional to the amount of quartz present. 2. Quartz-carbonate veins, up to 3 feet in width, containing disseminations of chalcopyrite, pyrite, molybdenite, and visible gold. 3. Streaks of molybdenite and gold.
During the period 1913 to 1944, the ore was mined primarily for its gold content. However from 1967 to 1972 copper was the most important product. During the second period, the average recovered grade was T.40% Cu and 0.18 ounce of Au per ton.
Upper Beaver Mines Limited (wholly owned subsidiary of Upper Canada Resources Limited).
1912-1919: Trenching, pitting, two shallow shafts, two adits, and some production by La Mine D’Or Huronia Limited.
1919-1935: No. 3 shaft to 520 feet, with levels at 80, 200, 350 and 500 feet. Winze sunk from the 500-foot level to 1,250 feet, with levels at 625, 750, 875, 1000, 1125, and 1250 feet. Several thousand feet of lateral development. 200-ton mill built in 1923. All production during the period 1919 to 1930, except for the years 1921 and 1922, was by Argonaut Gold Mines Limited.
1937-1939: Exploration work on 200- and 350-foot levels by Toburn Gold Mines Limited.
1939: Workings dewatered to 500-foot level, 800 feet of lateral development, and surface and under ground diamond-drilling by Ventures Limited.
1950-1951: Geological and geophysical surveys, and 16 diamond-drill holes (5,401 feet) by Toburn Gold Mines Limited.
1961-1962: Surface exploration, workings dewater ed, 607 feet of drifting, and 64 underground dia mond-drill holes (14,815 feet) by Augustus Explorations Limited.
1964: Airborne geophysical survey by Upper Canada Mines Limited, who formed a subsidiary, Upper Beaver Mines Limited, to operate the property under a profit-sharing arrangement, with ore to be treated at Upper Canada’s mill.
1964-1972: Mine dewatered to 1,250-foot level, No.3 Shaft deepened to 605 feet, 22,457 feet of lateral development, 768 underground diamond- drill holes (161,715 feet), and seven surface dia mond-drill holes (3,534 feet) by Upper Beaver Mines Limited. Mine closed in January, 1972.
1972: Rock geochemical survey by Upper Beaver Mines Limited.
ODM 1941, Vol.50, pt.8, p.16-18 (Beaverhouse Lake Gold Mines Limited).
ODM 1964, MRC3, p.47 (Lake Beaverhouse Mines Limited).
Resident Geologist’s Files, Ontario Ministry of Na tural Resources, Kirkland Lake:
Gauthier Township, Derry (1939).
Gordon, J.B., Lovell, H.L., de Grijs, Jan, and Davie, R.F.
1979: Gold Deposits of Ontario, Part 2: Part of District of Cochrane, Districts of Muskoka, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Sudbury, Timiskaming, and Counties of Southern Ontario; Ontario Geological Survey, Mineral Deposits Circular 18, 253p.