|Years of Operation:||1917 – 1953|
|Ounces of Gold Producd:||570,659|
Toburn Mine (Past Producer)
MAIN METALS: Au, Ag
LOCATION: Immediately east of Kirkland Lake, in eastern Teck Township and western Lebel Township. No.3 (main) Shaft in patented claim L1823. Lati tude 48.160, Longitude 80.000 . Map reference: ODM 1945-1, Township of Teck.
GEOLOGY: The Toburn Mine is the easternmost of the seven contiguous mining properties along the “Main Break” at Kirkland Lake. It lies at the eastern end of the main Algoman syenite porphyry stock in the Kirkland Lake camp. The porphyry intrudes Timiskaming metasediments (including tuffs, which predominate toward the east). Other intrusives in clude dike-like bodies of augite syenite and quartz- feldspar porphyry. A few small minette dikes occur in the northwest corner of the property, and a near vertical diabase dike, about 8 feet wide, trends north through the mine workings. The property lies at the eastern end of the Kirkland Lake vein-fault and vein-fracture system. On passing eastward through the main syenite porphyry stock, the displacement on the various branches of the Kirkland Lake Fault either decreases in magnitude or dies out completely. The south branch of the Kirkland Lake “Main Break” is the strongest and most persistent structure in the Toburn Mine. It is locally called the South Vein. It dips steeply south and the south side has been thrust vertically upward for a distance of approximately 350 feet. This fault is on the hanging wall side of a fracture system, up to 1,500 feet in width, which extends slightly north of east across the western part of the property. This fracture system contains most of the gold-bearing veins. It has an overall southerly dip, but individual breaks may range from vertical to almost horizontal. The ore shoots were numerous but generally small. The widths of the gold-bearing veins were generally less than 8 inches. The ore bodies in the porphyry were, on the whole, wider than those in the sediments. Several post-ore strike faults occur and there are two main post-ore cross faults, known as the Dike and O’Connell Lake Faults.
OWNERSHIP: Arcadia Minerals Limited.
a) of the Tough-Oakes Mine:
1912: “A” Shaft (inclined) to 115 feet on No.2 Vein and 5-stamp mill installed by C.A. Foster. 73.85 tons of ore from the shaft and an open cut yielded 1,637 ounces of Au and 2,300 ounces of Ag. This represents the first production in the Kirkland Lake camp.
1913-1919: “A” Shaft deepened to 322 feet with levels at 85, 171, 247, and 319 feet. “B” Shaft to 666 feet. Approximately 16,000 feet of under ground development from the two shafts. In 1914- 1915, 3,706 tons of ore yielded 5,524 ounces of Au and 6,634 ounces of Ag. New mill installed in 1915 and production continued until July 1918 when mine closed down. Mining resumed from March to June, 1919. All work by Tough-Oakes Gold Mines Limited (controlled by Kirkland Lake Proprietary Limited). Negotiations for amalgamation with Burnside begun in 1919. 1921-1922: Workings dewatered, at least 1,320 feet of underground development, surface plant reconditioned, and 125-ton mill installed by Tough- Oakes Gold Mines Limited (owned by Kirkland Lake Proprietary (1919) Limited). All ore handled through Burnside No.3 Shaft. Some production in 1922.
b) of the Burnside Mine:
Pre-1914: No.1 Shaft to 70 feet, No.2 Shaft to 90 feet with 190 feet of lateral development on the 75- foot level, and 500 feet of diamond-drilling by Burnside Gold Mines Limited (controlled by Kirk land Lake Proprietary Limited).
1914: Surface work by Burnside Gold Mines Limit ed. 1917-1918: No.2 Shaft dewatered and deepened to 255 feet with 555 feet of lateral development on levels at 90 and 152 feet. No.3 Shaft to 337 feet with 398 feet of lateral development on levels at 120, 220 and 320 feet. Mill installed but no pro duction recorded. Work by Aladdin Cobalt Mining Company (under option from Burnside Gold Mines Limited). c) of the Tough-Oakes Burnside or Toburn Mine (an amalgamation of the Tough-Oakes and Burnside properties):
1923-1928: Burnside No.3 Shaft deepened to 1,025 feet with levels at 667, 792, 893 and 1,018 feet. Interior shaft from the 1,090-foot level to a depth of 1,900 feet with six levels. Levels at 1,225 and 1,345 feet opened up by an inclined winze. Under ground development and diamond-drilling totalled 30,336 and 5,620 feet respectively. Production continuous from 1924 and 1928. Work by Tough- Oakes Burnside Gold Mines Limited.
1931-1953: During this period the mine was ser viced by two surface shafts, the Tough-Oakes “A” Shaft and Burnside No.3 Shaft, and a subshaft which was collared on the 1,090-foot level and took the workings to a depth of 2,475 feet. Underground development was carried out on 23 levels and, dur ing the life of the mine, totalled: 52,799 feet of drifting, 22,984 feet of crosscutting, and 16,624 feet of raising. In addition to this, long drifts and crosscuts were extended into neighbouring properties in which Toburn held an interest. Produc tion began in 1932 and was continuous until the mine closed in 1953.
1956-1957: Arcadia Nickel Corporation Limited, the owner of the property, arranged to have Syl vanite Gold Mines Limited drift into the property from the Sylvanite 5,500 foot level.
|Year||Gold||Silver||Ore Milled||Recovered Grade|
|(ounces)||(ounces)||(tons)||(ounce of Au per ton)|
CIMM 1948, Structural Geology of Canadian Ore Deposits, Vol.1, p.644-653.
GSC 1936, Memoir 192, p.54,55.
ODM 1948, Vol.57, pt.5, p.184-188.
ODM 1954, Vol.63, pt.2, p.96, 97.
ODM 1964, GC11,p.48.
ODM 1964, MRC3, p.69, 70.
Gordon, J.B., Lovell, H.L., de Grijs, Jan, and Davie, R.F.
1979: Gold Deposits of Ontario, Part 2: Part of District of Cochrane, Districts of Muskoka, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Sudbury, Timiskaming, and Counties of Southern Ontario; Ontario Geological Survey, Mineral Deposits Circular 18, 253p.