|Years of Operation:||1917 -1968|
|Ounces of Gold Produced:||3,709,007|
Reproduced with permission of Kirkland Lake Gold Inc.
The Teck-Hughes mine is bounded on the west by Kirkland Lake Gold and by the Lake Shore mine to the east. The mine began production in 1917 and had produced 3,688,664 ounces of gold at a recovered grade of 0.38 oz/T when the mine ceased operating in 1968.
The mine ranks third among the seven mines of Kirkland Lake in terms of total ounces produced, but had an average recovered grade considerably below the camp wide average of 0.46 oz/T. In the latter years of operation the mine relied heavily on lower grade “slough ore” which had caved from the hangingwalls of open stopes.
In 1911 three claims (Tl 6624-Tl 6626), which were to form the most important part of the mine, were staked by Stephen Orr and three neighboring claims (Ll 238-Ll 240) were staked by John Reamsbottom. In 1912 gold was discovered in claim Ll 238 by James A. Hughes and Sandy McIntyre. Prospecting and surface trenching were carried out by Teck-Hughes Gold Mines Limited and a 35-foot shaft was sunk.
In 1913 No.1 Shaft was sunk to 212 feet and 203 feet of drifting was carried out on the 200-foot level. No.2 Shaft was sunk to a depth of 75 feet with 500 feet of lateral development on the 75-foot level by Teck-Hughes Gold Mines Limited. From 1914 to 1915 the No.3 Shaft was sunk to 124 feet and an 85-foot winze was developed from the second level. 1,360 feet of lateral development in No.1 and No.3 shafts were carried out by Nipissing Mining Company (under option from Teck-Hughes Gold Mines Limited).
From 1915-1917 the underground workings were dewatered and the No.3 shaft was deepened to 400 feet with a winze to 600 feet, and 1,804 feet of lateral development was carried out. In 1917, a 50-ton mill was installed and milling began. This work was completed by Teck-Hughes Gold Mines Limited.
As with other major mines in Kirkland Lake, the most important structure at the Teck-Hughes mine is the Main Break. This structure and the veins related to it yielded most of the gold in the mine. The mineralized structure was mined as the No.3 vein from surface to the 6105 foot level, the deepest level at the mine. Longitudinal sections reveal that stoping on the No.3 vein was almost continuous from surface to near the 3000 foot level. Diamond drilling defined the Main Break down to 6650 feet, however there was insufficient ore to warrant development below the 6105 foot level. Grade and production both decreased below 3 000 feet. This decrease in ore with depth has been suggested to be directly related to a decrease in the proportion of augite syenite to syenite porphyry with depth (Charlewood, 1964).
The No.4 break lies about 600 feet south of the Main Break and is generally believed to be the westerly extension of the South (No.1) vein of Lake Shore. Although this structure contains some low gold values, no ore has been mined along it in the Teck-Hughes mine. This fault may merge with the No.6 break at depth and has never been identified in the western portions of the mine.
From 1938 onwards, veins in the hanging wall of the Main Break became an important source or ore. These hanging wall veins are typical of other such veins in the Kirkland Lake camp which drape off the Main Break and dip flat to the south, generally between 30 and 50 degrees.
The relatively late discovery and subsequent mining of hanging wall veins can be attributed to a number of factors. Firstly, mining was concentrated on the Main Break where stoping was extensive, and easily traced. Secondly, many of the initial diamond drill holes testing for ore associated with the Main Break were not extended any significant distance into the hangingwall. In later years, improvements in diamond drilling and reduced drilling costs, increasing realization of the significance of the hangingwall veins, and the depletion of Main Break ore led to more and more exploration holes probing the hangingwall of the Main Break revealing numerous significant ore-bearing veins
The above summary of the history of the Teck-Hughes Mine is taken from: STILL, A.C. 2001 Structural setting and controls of gold mineralization at the Macassa Mine, Kirkland Lake, Ontario. Unpublished Masters of Science Thesis, Queens University 151p
Teck-Hughes Mine (Past Producer)
Approximately 3/4 mile west of Kirkland Lake, in east-central Teck Township. Central and Orr Shafts in patented claim T16626; No.1 and No.3 Shafts in patented claim L1238; South Shaft in patented claim T16625. Latitude 48.150, Longi tude 80.050 . Map reference: ODM 1945-1, Township of Teck.
The property is underlain by Timiskaming metasediments (including tuffs) intermingled with elongate bodies of Algoman intrusive rocks. North of the “Main Break” at surface, these rocks strike N650 E or roughly parallel to the break; south of fault system they trend approximately N800E. Most of the mine workings are in the intrusive rocks. The main intrusive body is an irregularly shaped mass, sill-like in outline and consisting of augite syenite intermingled with syenite and syenite por phyry. The syenite is confined to the upper levels and is part of the faulted westward-pitching pipe- like body that crosses the neighbouring Kirkland Lake Gold and Macassa properties. The augite syenite and syenite porphyry are intricately inter- fingered throughout the entire mine. Because the proportion of syenite porphyry to augite syenite in the vicinity of the “Main Break” increases with depth, most df the workings in the lower half of the mine are in syenite porphyry. A diabase dike, approximately 80 feet in width, strikes north across the property and dips 750W. It cuts all the rock types, veins, and ore bodies, but has been offset 179 by later fault movements on the “Main Break” and subsidiary faults. The most important structure in the mine is the Kirkland Lake Fault or “Main Break”, which dips 75-800S. The bulk of the gold production has come from the No.3 Vein system associated with this fault. The Teck-Hughes veins generally contain quartz, although the amount may vary greatly. Most of the subsidiary veins branch off the hanging wall of the “Main Break” and have a flatter dip than that structure. An exception is the No.1 Vein, dis covered by Sandy Mcintyre. It appears in outcrops about 100 feet north of the main fault and joins it at depth. Approximately 600 feet to the south, a parallel structure occurs; it is called the No.4 Break and is generally considered to be the westerly extension of the South (No.1) Vein from the Lake Shore Mine, but it has produced no ore in the Teck- Hughes Mine. Another prominent structure is the No.6 Break in the west end of the mine. This is an extension of a structure of the same name from the Kirkland Lake Gold Mine. The veins and ore bodies are not greatly disturbed by post-ore movement. Where displacement occurs, the amount is never more than 45 feet.
Lamaque Mining Company Limited (wholly owned subsidiary of Teck Corporation Limited).
1911: Three claims (T16624-T16626), which were to form the most important part of the mine, staked by Stephen Orr. Three neighbouring claims (L1238-L1240) staked by John Reamsbottom.
1912: Gold discovered in claim L1238 by James A. Hughes and Sandy Mcintyre. Prospecting, surface trenching, and 35-foot shaft by Teck-Hughes Gold Mines Limited.
1913: No.1 Shaft to 212 feet with 203 feet of drift ing on the 200-foot level and No.2 Shaft to 75 feet with 500 feet of lateral development on the 75-foot level by Teck-Hughes Gold Mines Limited.
1914-1915: No.3 Shaft to 124 feet, 85-foot winze from second level, and 1,360 feet of lateral develop ment in No.1 and No.3 Shafts by Nipissing Mining Company (under option from Teck-Hughes Gold Mines Limited).
1915-1917: Underground workings dewatered, No.3 Shaft to 400 feet with winze to 600 feet, and 1,804 feet of lateral development. In 1917, 50-ton mill installed and milling begun. Work by Teck-Hughes Gold Mines Limited.
1918-1968: The mine was serviced by three shafts (the No.1 Shaft having been inactive for many years) and seven winzes, only two of which were active in 1968. The inclined No.3 winze took the workings to a depth of 6,148 feet. Underground development was carried out on 50 levels and, during the life of the mine, totalled: 148,007 feet of drifting, 58,584 feet of crosscutting, and 95,216 feet of raising. Pro duction was continuous from 1917 to 1968 and attained a maximum in 1932 with an average of 1,300 tons per day being milled. Operations, on a salvage basis since 1951, ceased in 1968.
|Year||Gold||Silver||Ore Milled||Recovered Grade|
|(ounces)||(ounces)||(tons)||(ounce of Au per ton)|
CIMM 1948, Structural Geology of Canadian Ore Deposits, Vol.1, p.644-653.
ODM 1920, Vol.29, pt.4, p.29-32 (Orr, Teck Hughes).
ODM 1923, Vol.32, pt.4, p.31-34. ODM 1928, Vol.37, pt.2, p.98-111.
ODM 1948, Vol.57, pt.5, p.141-149.
ODM 1964, GC11, p.29-32.
ODM 1964, MRC3, p.66, 67.
ODM 1970, Vol.78, p.33-35.
Resident Geologist’s Files, Ontario Ministry of Na tural Resources, Kirkland Lake.
Gordon, J.B., Lovell, H.L., de Grijs, Jan, and Davie, R.F.
1979: Gold Deposits of Ontario, Part 2: Part of District of Cochrane, Districts of Muskoka, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Sudbury, Timiskaming, and Counties of Southern Ontario; Ontario Geological Survey, Mineral Deposits Circular 18, 253p.