|Years of Operation:||1941|
|Ounces of Gold Produced:||177|
Queenston Mine (Past Producer)
Approximately 917a miles east of Kirkland Lake, 2^ miles northwest of Fork Lake, in central Gauthier Township. No.1 Shaft in claim L9613; No.2 Shaft in claim L8366. Latitude 48.130 , Longi tude 79.820 . Map reference: ODM 50c, Township of Gauthier.
The Larder Lake “break”, which trends east-southeast across the property, consists of a 300-foot width of highly sheared carbonate rocks dipping steeply south. The carbonate rocks form a central lens, 50 to 100 feet in width, which is inter bedded with talc-chlorite schist. Rocks to the north of the “break” consist of Timiskaming metasedi ments, both fine-grained and conglomeratic, and interbedded andesitic lavas and tuffs. To the south of the “break”, ultramafic and mafic intrusive rocks are cut by an irregular complex of syenite intrusions. The entire carbonate zone contains dis seminated sulphide mineralization (mainly pyrite).
Gold occurs throughout the carbonate zone but “ore” grade is attained only where quartz-filled fractures occur within and adjacent to numerous dikes of syenite. A pipe-like body of medium grade ore was outlined on the 125- and 250-foot levels. Developed ore reserves are estimated to be 330,000 tons grading 0.14 ounce of Au per ton (Canadian Mines Handbook 1973- 1974, p.284).
Queenston Gold Mines Limited (controll ed by Upper Canada Resources Limited).
1928: Diamond-drilling and a shaft (Queen ston No.1) to 650 feet, with 2,000 feet of lateral development on the 600-foot level. A second shaft (Queenston No.2) to 100 feet with 146 feet of lateral development on the 94-foot level. All work by Murphy Mines Limited.
1941: Additional claims acquired and four diamond- drill holes (2,350 feet). Due to encouraging results, No.2 Shaft deepened to 272 feet, with 748 feet of lateral development on levels at 125 and 250 feet, and 2,776 feet of underground diamond-drilling in 41 holes. Mining plant installed. All work by Queenston Gold Mines Limited.
1946-1947: Anoki Gold Mines Limited property acquired and Anoki (Queenston No.3) Shaft de- watered and sampled. 1,627 feet of lateral develop ment from No.2 Shaft. Shaft No.4 sunk to 267 feet with a level at 260 feet. Diamond-drilling amounted to 16 holes (8,950 feet) from surface and 241 holes (28,754 feet) from underground.
1950-1951: A total of 11,063 feet of underground lateral development carried out from Shafts Nos. 3 and 4. Diamond-drilling amounted to 11 holes (3,269 feet) from the surface and 415 holes (53,929 feet) from underground. Circa 1960: Geological surveys and diamond-drilling (amount unknown).
|Year||Gold||Ore Milled||Recovered Grade|
|(ounces)||(tons)||(ounce of Au per ton)|
Canadian Mines Handbook 1973-1974, p.284.
ODM 1941, Vol.50, pt.8, p.20, 21.
ODM 1964, MRC3,p.61,62.
Resident Geologist’s Files, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Kirkland Lake.
Gordon, J.B., Lovell, H.L., de Grijs, Jan, and Davie, R.F.
1979: Gold Deposits of Ontario, Part 2: Part of District of Cochrane, Districts of Muskoka, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Sudbury, Timiskaming, and Counties of Southern Ontario; Ontario Geological Survey, Mineral Deposits Circular 18, 253p.