|Years of Operation:||1913, 1926 – 1928, 1936 – 1947|
|Ounces of Gold Produced:||214,098|
Omega Mine (Past Producer)
LOCATION: Approximately 1^ miles north-northeast of Larder Lake village, Vz mile east of Pancake Lake, in southern McVittie Township. No.1 Shaft in pa tented claim LS191; No.2 Shaft in patented claim L1794. Latitude 48.120, Longitude 79.690 . Map reference: ODM 50b, Township of McVittie.
East- to northeast-trending Timiskaming metasediments and metavolcanics are in fault con tact, along the Larder Lake “Break”, with Kee watin metavolcanics to the south. Syenite underlies the southeastern part of the property, and smaller bodies of syenite and related rocks are intrusive into the metasediments and metavolcanics. The ore horizon lies within the Larder Lake “Break” which consists of a wide zone of carbonate-chlorite schist containing a later graphitic fault and a band of carbonate rock (“dolomite”). Most of the de veloped ore occurred as large irregular replacement bodies within two narrow dacitic lava flows. Typi cally, the ore material was reddish and greyish rock containing considerable fine-grained sulphide min eralization and cut by a few narrow fractures filled with quartz and calcite. In addition, a small amount of ore was found in “dolomite” at the east end of the mine. In this orebody, gold values were associ ated with parallel and interlocking quartz stringers containing some sulphide mineralization. ECONOMIC FEATURES: The tailings dump contains approximately 60,000 tons of material averaging 0.1 ounce of Au per ton (Resident Geologist’s Files, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Kirkland Lake).
Open for staking as of January 1, 1960.
1914: Gold discovered in claim L1794 by Jack Costello.
1921-1928: Three-compartment shaft (Omega No. 1) to 1,200 feet with 8,960 feet of lateral develop ment on levels at 125-foot intervals by Crown Re serve Mines Limited. Three-compartment shaft (Omega No.2) to 1,050 feet with at least 1,200 feet of lateral development on seven levels by Canadian Associated Goldfields Mining Company Limited. Small amounts of ore milled by Canadian Associa ted Goldfields during 1926-1928. During 1922- 1923, unknown amount of diamond-drilling by Coniagas Mines Limited and 2,000 feet of diamond- drilling by Anglo-Canadian Explorers Limited.
1934: Sampling by Noranda Mines Limited.
1936-1947: No.1 Shaft deepened to 1,592 feet, winze from 1,550 to 2,000 feet with three new levels, and 72,664 feet of underground develop ment. Production throughout entire period. Original 300-ton mill enlarged to handle 500 tons. All work by Omega Gold Mines Limited.
1950: Surface diamond-drilling (footage and num ber of holes unknown) by Lomega Gold Mines Limited.
1966: Two diamond-drill holes (230 feet) by R. Newman.
1968-1972: Stripping and trenching by R. Fernholm, L. Loew, and R. Bustraen.
1973: Stripping by R. Kasner.
|Years||Gold||Silver||Ore Milled||Recovered Grade|
|(ounces)||(ounces)||(tons)||(ounce of Au per ton)|
The 1913 production was from the Raven River Mine being operated by Canadian Associated Gold fields Mining Company Limited.
ODM 1924, Vol.33, pt.3, p.11-20 (Pancake Lake Area; Costello Graphite Fault; Associated Goldfields (Costello Property); Crown Reserve). ODM 1941, Vol.50, pt.7, p.82-87. ODM 1964, MRC3, p.58,59.
Resident Geologist’s Files, Ontario Ministry of Na tural Resources, Kirkland Lake:
McVittie Town ship, Card Lake Copper Mines Limited Prospectus (1972).
Gordon, J.B., Lovell, H.L., de Grijs, Jan, and Davie, R.F.
1979: Gold Deposits of Ontario, Part 2: Part of District of Cochrane, Districts of Muskoka, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Sudbury, Timiskaming, and Counties of Southern Ontario; Ontario Geological Survey, Mineral Deposits Circular 18, 253p.