|Years of Operation:||1934 – 1936|
|Ounces of Gold Produced:||4,780|
Moffatt-Hall Mine (Past Producer)
MAIN METALS: Au, Ag
Approximately 5Va miles east-northeast of Kirkland Lake, Vz mile south of the eastern end of McTavish Lake, in northeastern Lebel Town
ship. Shaft in claim LS4. Latitude 48.170 , Longitude 79.91 0 . Map reference: ODM 53a, Township of Lebel.
Timiskaming metavolcanics and metasediments (conglomerate, greywacke, pyroclastics, and massive and porphyritic trachyte) are intruded by “porphyrite” (Algoman porphyry and altered country rocks). The No.1 vein, striking northeast and dipping steeply northwest, consists of fractured and altered wall rock heavily mineralized with pyrite and cut by dark quartz stringers. To the northeast, the vein has been developed on the Bidgood property and, to the southwest, it is cut off by a cross-fault.
Assays from underground ranged from 0.09 to 0.75 ounce of Au per ton. The best ore was found where the vein occupied a sheared contact between a narrow porphyry dike and the Bidgood diorite body.
Open for staking as of January 1, 1953.
1917-1918: Property staked by F.C. Bidgood.
Circa 1920: Trenching revealed No.1 vein.
1923: Surface prospecting by Tonopah Mining Company (under option).
1928: Unspecified development by Mcintyre Porcupine Mines Limited (under option).
1931-1932: Two-compartment shaft to 570 feet and 2,800 feet of lateral development on levels at 150, 300, 425, and 550 feet by Moffat-Hall Gold Mines Limited.
1934: Property leased to H. Jardin who shipped 3,178 tons of ore to the Noranda mill.
1934-1935: Raise driven to connect Moffat-Hall 425-foot level with Bidgood 500-foot level, and small amount of production by Bidgood Kirkland Gold Mines Limited (under lease).
1936: Operations resumed for short time by Moffat-Hall Mining Company Limited. During the life of the mine there was 4,365 feet of underground lateral development and 3,464 feet of underground diamond-drilling in 21 holes.
1938: Six surface diamond-drill holes (1,031 feet).
1941: Six surface diamond-drill holes (12,837 feet).
1964: Geological survey and trenching by Consoli dated Virginia Mining Corporation.
1965-1966: Six diamond-drill holes (690 feet) by Tegren Gold Mines Limited.
1973: Trenching and stripping by E.G. Deloye.
|Years||Gold||Silver||Ore Milled||Recovered Grade|
|(ounces)||(ounces)||(tons)||(ounce of Au per ton)|
ODM 1923, Vol.32, pt.4, p.75.
ODM 1928, Vol.37, pt.2, p.157.
ODM 1935, Vol.44, pt.2, p.59, 60.
ODM 1949, Vol.58, Table II in back pocket.
ODM 1964, MRC3, p.55, 56.
Resident Geologist’s Files, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Kirkland Lake:
Lebel Township, Buffam (1938) and others.
Gordon, J.B., Lovell, H.L., de Grijs, Jan, and Davie, R.F.
1979: Gold Deposits of Ontario, Part 2: Part of District of Cochrane, Districts of Muskoka, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Sudbury, Timiskaming, and Counties of Southern Ontario; Ontario Geological Survey, Mineral Deposits Circular 18, 253p.