|Years of Production:||1937 – 1939|
|Ounces of Gold Produced:||7,568|
Laguerre Mine (Past Producer)
Approximately Vz mile east of Larder Lake village, astride the McVittie-Hearst town ship boundary near the 2Vz mile post, in northern Hearst Township and southern Mcvittie Town ship. Laguerre Shaft in patented claim L1053; Raven River Shaft in claim L5360. Latitude 48.100, Longitude 79.700 . Map reference: ODM 1947-1, Township of Hearst and portion of Township of McFadden.
Keewatin metavolcanics and Timiskaming metasediments (conglomerate, tuff, and highly schistose rocks) are intersected by numerous dikes and irregularly shaped Algoman intrusive bodies, mainly syenite, felsite, diorite, and lamprophyre. The Laguerre Shaft was sunk on the north exten sion of the No.2 vein zone which lies within the boundaries of a pink syenite dike. The dike has been traced for more than V* mile and varies in width from 3 to 75 feet. Gold values occur through out the dike on the 250-foot level where it has been fractured, pyritized, and cut by quartz stringers. No ore shoot was outlined. In the Raven River Mine two pipe-like bodies of greatly altered syenite are bordered by green carbonate, talc-chlorite, ‘greenstone’, and lampro phyre. The ore occurs in quartz veins in these syenite bodies.
In 1939, the estimated re serves in the ore zone were 11,000,000 tons averaging 0.05 ounce of Au per ton. These features suggest that the deposit belongs to the gold-porphyry type.
Open for staking as of July 15, 1971.
1908: 10-ton stamp mill on Harris-Maxwell claims.
1912-1913: Shaft to 438 feet, with 3,000 feet of lateral development on five levels. Small amount of ore milled. Work by Associated Goldfields Mining Company Limited.
1936-1939: Shaft dewatered, winze sunk from 420 to 716 feet, two new levels, 8,000 feet of lateral development, and an unspecified amount of under ground diamond-drilling. Gold production from 50- to 70-ton mill. All work by Raven River Gold Mines Limited.
1939-1941: Laguerre Shaft to 281 feet on the Knutson claim, with lateral development on the 250-foot level.
1946-1947: Laguerre Shaft dewatered and deepen ed to 778 feet, with levels at 420, 590 and 760 feet, and 2,443 feet of lateral development. Surface and underground diamond-drilling. All work by La guerre Gold Mines Limited.
1970: Trenching and two diamond-drill holes (830 feet) by R.A. MacGregor.
1973: Magnetic and electromagnetic surveys by R.A. MacGregor.
|Years||Gold||Silver||Ore milled||Recovered Grade|
|(ounces)||(ounces)||(tons)||(ounce of Au per ton)|
ODM 1941, Vol.50, pt.7, p.76-80.
ODM 1947, Vol.56, pt.8, p.25, 26.
ODM 1964, MRC3, p.45, 46.
Resident Geologist’s Files, Ontario Ministry of Na tural Resources, Kirkland Lake.
Gordon, J.B., Lovell, H.L., de Grijs, Jan, and Davie, R.F.
1979: Gold Deposits of Ontario, Part 2: Part of District of Cochrane, Districts of Muskoka, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Sudbury, Timiskaming, and Counties of Southern Ontario; Ontario Geological Survey, Mineral Deposits Circular 18, 253p.