|Years of Operation:||1916 – 1960|
|Ounces of Gold Produced:||1,172,955|
Reproduced with permission of Kirkland Lake Gold Inc.
The Kirkland Minerals mine is near the western end of the Kirkland Lake camp bounded to the west by the Macassa mine and to the east by the Teck-Hughes mine. A total of 1,172,955 ounces of gold at an average grade of 0.37 oz/T was mined between 1919 and 1960. The mine ranks sixth out of the seven mines in Kirkland Lake in terms of total ounces produced and average head grade.
The first reported discovery was in 1911 on Claim L1236 (what was to become the shaft claim) staked by C.A. McKane. A short while later, in 1912 the Main Break was discovered on the claim. In 1913 a two-compartment shaft (to become Kirkland Lake Gold No.1) was sunk to 80 feet by Kirkland Gold Mines Limited. The No. 1 shaft was deepened, in 1915, to 200 feet and a level was established at 175 feet by Beaver Consolidated Mines Limited (under option from Kirkland Lake Gold Mines Limited).
From 1916 to 1918 Kirkland Lake Gold Mining Company Limited (controlled by Beaver Consolidated Mines Limited) deepened No. 1 shaft to 700 feet and sank another shaft (No. 2 main shaft) to 500 feet with levels at 300, 400 and 500 feet. A 150-ton mill was installed and production began in 1918.
In the early years of the mine, most gold production came from workings on the Main Break. In 1937 significant production started from the No.5 vein. The No.5 vein was a 50° south dipping hangingwall vein structure which was mined as a continuous sheet of ore from the 3475 foot level to the 3875 foot level along a strike length of 1,200 feet. This vein rolls into the Main Break along a line plunging to the west at 17°. The vein is sub-parallel to and in the hangingwall of the No.6 break.
Another major source of ore from the mine came from a series of veins that were mined from the 3750 foot level to the bottom 5975 foot level between the Main Break and the No.6 fault. The No.6 fault branches from the Main Break below the 3375 foot level at the eastern boundary of the mine dipping 40-60° south and plunges to the west near 20° along the line of intersection with the Main Break. The veins associated with this structure formed a zone up to 250 feet wide and up to 1,500 feet along strike, which was nearly vertical and plunged gently to the west. Locally, up to seven sub-parallel veins were mined in places “across the width of the zone” (Charlewood, 1964).
Another source of ore was obtained from a series of veins related to an antiformal structure between the 3750 foot level to below the 5725 foot level where it plunged west into Macassa. The No.10 vein was the most prolific of these veins being mined from the 5230 foot level to below the 5600 foot level. The axis of the folded vein strikes near 125° and plunges to the west near 30°. Various veins have been mined on both the south and north limbs of the antiform with one vein mined around the nose of the antiform. The veins are steeper on the limbs and flatter towards the top of the antiform. None of the veins have been reported to intersect the Main Break.
The above summary of the history of the Kirkland Minerals Mine is taken from: STILL, A.C. 2001 Structural setting and controls of gold mineralization at the Macassa Mine, Kirkland Lake, Ontario. Unpublished Masters of Science Thesis, Queens University 151p
Kirkland Lake Gold Mine (Past Producer)
Approximately 1 mile west of Kirkland Lake, in central Teck Township. Patented claims L1236, L1643, L1850, L2604, L2644, and L2771. Main shaft in patented claim L1236. Latitude 48.150 , Longitude 80.060 . Map reference: ODM 1945-1, Township of Teck.
Timiskaming conglomerate, greywacke, and tuff are intruded by augite syenite, syenite, syenite porphyry, and quartz-feldspar porphyry of Algoman age, and by younger diabase. Ore is found in all formations except the diabase. On surface, the Kirkland Lake “Main Break” follows the north contact of a sill-like mass of augite syenite which is bordered to the north and south by bould er conglomerate and tuff respectively. The augite syenite body widens somewhat with depth. In the upper part of the mine, it is intruded by a westward- pitching irregular pipe-like body of red syenite which outcrops on the Teck-Hughes property, crosses the Kirkland Lake Gold property and continues into the Macassa property at depth. This pitching body of syenite has been sliced in two along its long dimension by the “Main Break”, the southern or hanging wall part having been thrust upward rough ly 1,500 feet. Syenite porphyry intrudes both the syenite and augite syenite and increases in amount with depth. In the lower part of the mine, conglomerate, grey wacke, and tuff occur in a pitching anticlinal structure, the core of which consists of syenite porphyry and quartz-feldspar porphyry. The most important structure on the property is the Kirkland Lake vein-fault or “Main Break”. This fault crosses the entire property and has an average dip of 750S from surface to the bottom of the workings. In the upper half of the mine, the productive veins were found chiefly within the zone of fracturing in the two faulted parts of the syenite body. Below the 3,400-foot level, the veins occur in a different environment. The No.6 “Break” branches from the main fault with a flatter dip, thus forming a split structure straddling the pitching anticlinal structure. Productive veins occurred in the folded tuff and sediments of this structure, and in the wedge-shaped block above which is bounded by the main fault and the No.6 “Break”. The vein in the latter was not very productive; however, the No. 5 Vein, lying above the No.6 “Break” and more or less parallel to it, was an important source of ore. There is little post-ore faulting in the upper part of the mine. At depth, some of the veins have been displaced a small amount.
OWNERSHIP: Lamaque Mining Company Limited (wholly owned subsidiary of Teck Corporation Limited).
1911: Claim L1236 (what was to become the shaft claim) staked by C.A. McKane.
1912: Main break discovered on the claim. 1913: Two-compartment shaft (to become Kirkland Lake Gold No.1) to 80 feet by Kirkland Gold Mines Limited.
1915: No.1 Shaft deepened to 200 feet and level established at 175 feet by Beaver Consolidated Mines Limited (under option from Kirkland Lake Gold Mines Limited). 1916-1918: No.1 Shaft deepened to 700 feet, three- compartment No.2 (Main) Shaft to 500 feet with levels at 300, 400 and 500 feet (which are connect ed with No.1 Shaft), and at least 6,000 feet of underground development. 150-ton mill installed and production begun in 1918. Work by Kirkland Lake Gold Mining Company Limited (controlled by Beaver Consolidated Mines Limited). 1919-1960: No.1 Shaft, which eventually became inactive, reached a final depth of 894 feet. No.2 (Main) Shaft reached a final depth of 2,666 feet. Five winzes: No.1 from 2,475-foot level to 5,897 feet, No.2 from 4,900-foot level to 5,897 feet, No.3 from 3,600-foot level to 4,487 feet, “1,000” from 1,000-foot level to 1,134 feet and No.4 from 4,750 foot level to 6,003 feet. Underground development on 61 levels totalled 113,730 feet of drifting, 39,752 feet of crosscutting and 26,065 feet of raising. Except for 1925 when the property was optioned to Anglo-French Exploration Company Limited, the mine was in continuous production from 1919 until September 1960. Production reached a peak in 1940 with 137,986 tons of ore being processed. All work by Kirkland Lake Gold Mining Company Limited (name changed to Kirk land Minerals Corporation Limited in 1956).
|Year||Gold||Silver||Ore Milled||Recovered Grade|
|(ounces)||(ounces)||(tons)||(ounce of Au per ton)|
CIMM 1948, Structural Geology of Ca- 175 Canadian Ore Deposits, Vol.1, p.644-653.
ODM 1920, Vol.29, pt.4, p.26-29.
ODM 1923, Vol.32, pt.4, p.29-31.
ODM 1928, Vol.37, pt.2, p.93-98.
ODM 1948, Vol.57, pt.5, p.133-140.
ODM 1961, Vol.70, p.37-39 (Kirkland Minerals Corporation Limited).
ODM 1964, GC11, p.25-29 (Kirkland Minerals Corporation Limited).
ODM 1964, MRC3, p.42, 43.
Gordon, J.B., Lovell, H.L., de Grijs, Jan, and Davie, R.F.
1979: Gold Deposits of Ontario, Part 2: Part of District of Cochrane, Districts of Muskoka, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Sudbury, Timiskaming, and Counties of Southern Ontario; Ontario Geological Survey, Mineral Deposits Circular 18, 253p.