|Years of Operation:||1927 – 1928|
|Ounces of Gold Produced:||660|
Gold Hill Mine (Past Producer)
Approximately 14 miles southeast of Kirkland Lake, in lots 7-9, concession V, Catharine Township. Shaft in patented claim L10715,SW^, NVi, lot 9, concession V. Latitude 47.990, Longitude 79.850 . Map reference: ODM 2043, Catharine and Marter Townships.
In the vicinity of the shaft, Early Precambrian mafic to intermediate metavolcanics are cut by small bodies of diorite porphyry and diabase. Lenses and veins of interbanded quartz and sulphides occupy shear zones in the metavolcanics. Sulphide mineralization consists of pyrite with minor chalcopyrite, molybdenite, and galena. On surface, an 1,100-foot length of the mineralized zone assayed 0.75 ounce of Au per ton across 1.7 feet. Channel samples taken underground assayed from trace to 5.6 ounces of Au per ton across similar widths.
Robert B. Tuer.
1927-1929: Geological survey and 3,600 feet of diamond-drilling. Two-compartment shaft to 1,200 feet and 6,000 feet of underground lateral development. 100-ton mill installed in fall of 1927 and operated during winter of 1927-1928. All work by Gold Hill Mines Limited.
|Year||Gold||Ore Milled||Recovered Grade|
|(ounces)||(tons)||(ounce of Au per ton)|
GSC 1936, Memoir 192, p.17.
ODM 1963, GR18, p.13.
Resident Geologist’s Files, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Kirkland Lake:
Catharine Township, Gold Hill Mines Limited (1929).