|Years of Operation:||1930 – 1952|
|Ounces of Gold Produced:||358,880|
Chesterville Mine (Past Producer)
MAIN METALS: Au, Ag
Approximately % mile northeast of Virginiatown, immediately northeast of the Kerr-Addison Mine, in central McGarry Township. Shaft and underground workings in patented claim L1860 (HF404) which is completely surrounded by Kerr-Addison property. Remaining claims extend to the northeast. Latitude 48.140, Longitude 79.560. Map reference: ODM 50a, Township of McGarry.
The property is underlain by Timiskaming metasediments (mainly greywacke) and metavolcanics (mafic lava, trachyte, trachytic breccia and agglomerate, and tuff). The regional strike direction isN60-700E. All of the orebodies occur in claim T1860 within the gold-bearing horizon of altered lavas and carbonate rocks adjacent to the Larder Lake “break”. This same horizon hosts the Kerr Addison orebodies immediately to the west. Three of the orebodies consist of quartz stringers and disseminated sulphides (pyrite with traces of chalcopyrite, pyrrho tite, and magnetite) in fine-grained basaltic lava. Gold values are mainly associated with the sulphides. The other three orebodies consist of stockworks of quartz veins in green siliceous carbonate rock. The gold occurs in the native state distributed erratically throughout the quartz.
Kerr Addison Mines Limited.
1906: 50-foot adit, 50-foot shaft, mill in stalled and a few ounces of gold recovered by Lucky Bay Mining Company. (The original source of this information is not known).
1907: Two 30-foot prospect shafts in claim T1860 by The Chesterville Larder Lake Gold Mining Company Limited.
1937: Diamond-drilling program by The Chesterville Larder Lake Gold Mining Company Limited outlined more than 1,000,000 tons of ore.
1938-1952: Shaft to 2,799 feet with 53,378 feet of lateral development and 26,293 feet of raising on 18 levels. 500-ton mill installed in 1938; capacity increased to 700 tons in 1940. Operations ceased in 1952. All work by Chesterville Larder Lake
Gold Mining Company Limited (name changed to Chesterville Mines Limited in 1946).
|Years||Gold||Silver||Ore Milled||Recovered Grade|
|(ounces)||(ounces)||(tons)||(ounce of Au per ton)|
ODM 1924, Vol.33, pt.3, p.23, 24.
ODM 1941, Vol.50, pt.7, p.59-63.
ODM 1953, Vol.62, pt.2, p.14-16.
ODM 1964, MRC3, p.21,22.
Gordon, J.B., Lovell, H.L., de Grijs, Jan, and Davie, R.F.
1979: Gold Deposits of Ontario, Part 2: Part of District of Cochrane, Districts of Muskoka, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Sudbury, Timiskaming, and Counties of Southern Ontario; Ontario Geological Survey, Mineral Deposits Circular 18, 253p.