|Years of Operation:||1941 – 1944, 1947, 1957, 1987|
|Ounces of Gold Produced:||10,231|
Cathroy Larder Mine (Past Producer)
Partial history as of 1979
Approximately 7^ miles southwest of Larder Lake village, adjacent to the 3-mile post on the McElroy-Catharine township boundary, in southern McElroy Township and northern Catharine Town ship. Shaft in patented claim L26272. Latitude 48.020 , Longitude 79.830 . Map reference: ODM 1950-3, Township of McElroy, and portion of Township of Boston.
Keewatin intermediate to felsic metavolcan ics (mainly fragmental rocks, some rhyolite), striking N700W and dipping north, are intruded by small dikes of syenite porphyry, diorite, and lamprophyre. In the vicinity of the shaft, several shear zones par allel the trend of the metavolcanics. The ore zones mined by Yama Gold Mines Limited in the shaft area occurred as a series of roughly parallel mineralized zones in moderately schistose fragmental metavolcanics. Each zone consisted of several narrow fractures heavily mineralized with gold-bearing sulphides. The zone mined by Cathroy Larder Mines Limited consisted of seams and irregular masses of gold- bearing sulphides (pyrite with some chalcopyrite and sphalerite) in highly altered and sheared frag mental metavolcanics.
Diamond-drilling in 1964 indicated ore reserves of 435,000 tons averaging 0.23 ounce of Au per ton (Northern Miner, March 14, 1968; January 24, 1971). An estimate made in 1972 placed ore reserves at 650,000 tons averaging 0.204 ounce of Au per ton (Northern Miner, August 31,1972).
Royado Mines Limited (subsidiary of Mirado Nickel Mines Limited).
1915: Property initially staked by E.R. Ostrom.
1918-1933: Unspecified work by a number of operators.
1937-1943: Considerable surface trenching and diamond-drilling. Shaft to 528 feet with lateral development on levels at 125, 250, 375, and 500 feet. Small amounts of production from 50-ton test mill during the period 1941-1943. All work by Yama Gold Mines Limited. 1943
1948: 15,000 feet of surface diamond-drilling outlined a new gold-bearing zone in claim L24690. This resulted in 11,620 feet of lateral development and at least 12,000 feet of underground diamond- drilling, mainly on the 250- and 500-foot levels. Production during 1944 and 1947. All work by Cathroy Larder Mines Limited.
1957: Small amount of production by Cathroy Larder Mines Limited.
1961: Extensive program of surface and underground diamond-drilling by Mirado Nickel Mines Limited who had optioned and subsequently bought the property.
1963: 16 diamond-drill holes (15,373 feet) by Broulan Reef Mines Limited.
1964: Surface work by Mirado Nickel Mines Limited.
|Years||Gold||Silver||Ore Milled||Recovered Grade|
|(ounces)||(ounces)||(tons)||(ounce of Au per ton)|
Northern Miner, March 14, 1968; January 24, 1971; August 31, 1972.
ODM 1950, Vol.59, pt.6, p.39-44.
ODM 1964, MRC3, p.20-21.
Resident Geologist’s Files, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Kirkland Lake:
McElroy Town ship, Johnston (1947-1948), Keating (1948) and others.
Gordon, J.B., Lovell, H.L., de Grijs, Jan, and Davie, R.F.
1979: Gold Deposits of Ontario, Part 2: Part of District of Cochrane, Districts of Muskoka, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Sudbury, Timiskaming, and Counties of Southern Ontario; Ontario Geological Survey, Mineral Deposits Circular 18, 253p.