|Years of Operation:||1934 – 1951|
|Ounces of Gold Produced:||160,184|
Bidgood Mine (Past Producer)
Approximately 5V2 miles east of Kirkland Lake, between Mud Lake and McTavish Lake, in northeastern Lebel Township. No.1 Shaft in patent ed claim L6976, No.2 Shaft in patented claim L9882. Latitude 48.170, Longitude 79.91 0 . Map reference: ODM 53a, Township of Lebel.
GEOLOGY: Conglomerate, greywacke, tuff, and trachy te of the Timiskaming series are intruded by masses of feldspar porphyry, quartz porphyry, diorite, and syenite. Most of the ore produced came from seven quartz veins occupying northeast-striking and northwest- dipping thrust fault fractures in the diorite stock which underlies most of claim L9882. Mineraliza tion in the veins consists of calcite, pyrite, molybdenite, and chalcopyrite.
Numerous offsets of the ore zones, resulting from post-ore cross-faulting, caused difficulty during mining operations.
Yorkshire Resources Limited.
Circa 1920: Prospecting and surface work by Bidgood Gold Mines Limited.
1923-1924: No.1 Shaft to 600 feet with 3,400 feet of lateral development on levels at 300, 400, and 600 feet by Bidgood Gold Mines Limited.
1927-1931: Surface trenching, No.1 Shaft dewater- ed and deepened to 725 feet, 3,669 feet of under ground lateral development, and 1,720 feet of under ground diamond-drilling by Bidgood Consolidated Gold Mines Limited. Bidgood Consolidated acquired the neighbouring property of Cambro Kirkland Mines Limited who had sunk a shaft (what was to become the Bidgood No.2) to 75 feet. Bidgood Consolidated had deepened the No.2 Shaft to 500 feet by the time they suspended operations in 1931.
1933-1949: No.1 Shaft deepened to 855 feet and underground development to 1940, when the shaft was closed, consisted of a winze and ,145 feet of crosscutting, drifting, and raising on 9 levels. No.2 Shaft dewatered in 1933 and all production during the period 1934-1949 came from this shaft which was deepened to 855 feet. Underground development consisted of three winzes, 36,399 feet of drifting, 16,282 feet of crosscutting, 7,970 feet of raising, and considerable diamond-drilling on 22 levels and sublevels to a maximum depth of 2,075 feet. All work by Bidgood Kirkland Gold Mines Limited.
1958: One diamond-drill hole (801 feet) by C.W. Tully.
There are certain discrepancies between the infor mation given in the various references, particularly with respect to shaft depths during the period 1927- 1931.
|Years||Gold||Silver||Ore Milled||Recovered Grade|
|(ounces)||(ounces)||(tons)||(ounce of Au per ton)|
|1934- 1939, 1951||160,184||72,468||586,367||0.27|
These figures include a small amount of production from the Gordon-Lebel property.
ODM 1923, Vol.32, pt.4, p.73, 74.
ODM 1928, Vol.37, pt.2, p.155-157.
ODM 1950, Vol.59, pt.2, p.5, 6.
ODM1964,MRC3, p.16, 17.
Resident Geologist’s Files, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Kirkland Lake:
Lebel Township, Parsons (1950).
Gordon, J.B., Lovell, H.L., de Grijs, Jan, and Davie, R.F.
1979: Gold Deposits of Ontario, Part 2: Part of District of Cochrane, Districts of Muskoka, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Sudbury, Timiskaming, and Counties of Southern Ontario; Ontario Geological Survey, Mineral Deposits Circular 18, 253p.