Upper Beaver

Location: Gauthier Township
Years of Operation: 1913 – 1972
Tons Milled: 580,562
Ounces of Gold Produced: 140,709

 

 

 

 

 

Upper Beaver Mine (Past Producer)

MAIN METALS:

Au, Ag, Cu

LOCATION:

Approximately  12  miles  east  of Kirkland Lake,  adjacent  to the  Gauthier-McVittie township boundary,  in  northeastern  Gauthier  Township. Patented claims L2586,  L2587, L2601,and L2602. Main  (No.3) Shaft in claim L2587. Latitude 48.1 T, Longitude 79.770 . Map  reference:  ODM  50c,  Township  of  Gauthier (Beaverhouse Lake).

GEOLOGY:  Andesitic  pillow  lava  is  overlain  by  felsic volcanic  tuff  and  breccia.  The  northwest-striking andesite  is  intruded  by  syenite  porphyry  and  the whole  assemblage  cut  by  a  north-trending  diabase dike. All rocks except the diabase are cut by a series of  shear  zones  containing  quartz-carbonate  and sulphide veins. The mineralization occurs in bedded cherty tuff and in the following types of veins: 1.  Narrow massive sulphide veins consisting of chal copyrite  and magnetite, with minor quartz, calcite, and  pyrite.  Gold  content  is  proportional  to  the amount of quartz present. 2.  Quartz-carbonate  veins,  up  to  3 feet  in  width, containing  disseminations  of  chalcopyrite,  pyrite, molybdenite, and visible gold. 3. Streaks of molybdenite and gold.

ECONOMIC  FEATURES:

During  the  period  1913 to 1944, the ore was mined primarily for its gold content.  However  from  1967  to  1972 copper was the most important product. During the second period, the average recovered grade was  T.40% Cu and 0.18 ounce of Au per ton.

OWNERSHIP:

Upper  Beaver  Mines  Limited  (wholly owned subsidiary of Upper Canada Resources Limited).

HISTORY:

1912-1919: Trenching, pitting, two shallow shafts, two adits, and some production by  La  Mine D’Or Huronia Limited.
1919-1935:  No.  3  shaft to 520 feet, with levels at 80,  200,  350  and  500  feet.  Winze  sunk  from the 500-foot level to 1,250 feet, with levels at 625, 750, 875,  1000,  1125,  and  1250 feet. Several  thousand feet  of  lateral  development.  200-ton  mill  built  in 1923.  All  production  during  the  period  1919  to 1930,  except for the years  1921  and  1922, was by Argonaut Gold Mines Limited.
1937-1939:  Exploration work on 200- and 350-foot levels by Toburn Gold Mines Limited.
1939:  Workings  dewatered  to 500-foot  level,  800 feet of lateral development, and surface and under ground diamond-drilling by Ventures Limited.
1950-1951:  Geological  and  geophysical  surveys, and  16 diamond-drill holes (5,401  feet)  by Toburn Gold Mines Limited.
1961-1962:  Surface exploration, workings dewater ed,  607  feet of drifting,  and  64  underground  dia mond-drill  holes (14,815 feet)  by Augustus Explorations Limited.
1964: Airborne geophysical survey by Upper Canada  Mines Limited, who formed  a  subsidiary, Upper Beaver  Mines  Limited,  to  operate  the  property under  a  profit-sharing arrangement,  with ore to be treated at Upper Canada’s mill.
1964-1972:  Mine  dewatered  to  1,250-foot  level, No.3  Shaft  deepened  to  605 feet,  22,457  feet of lateral  development,  768  underground  diamond- drill  holes  (161,715  feet),  and  seven  surface  dia mond-drill holes (3,534 feet) by Upper Beaver Mines Limited. Mine closed in January, 1972.
1972:  Rock  geochemical  survey  by  Upper  Beaver Mines Limited.

PRODUCTION:

Years Gold Silver Copper Ore Milled  R.G.
 (ounces)  (ounces)  (pounds) (tons) (oz./t)
1913-1944  38,347 3,512 1,030,783 131,585  0.29 (intermittent)
1965-1972 102,362 55,655 10,924,529 448,977 0.23
Total 140,709 59,167 11,955,312 580,562 0.24

REFERENCES:

ODM  1941,  Vol.50,  pt.8,  p.16-18 (Beaverhouse Lake Gold Mines Limited).
ODM  1964,  MRC3,  p.47  (Lake Beaverhouse Mines Limited).
Resident  Geologist’s  Files,  Ontario Ministry of Na tural Resources, Kirkland Lake:
Gauthier Township, Derry (1939).

Gordon, J.B., Lovell, H.L., de Grijs, Jan, and Davie, R.F.
1979:  Gold  Deposits of Ontario,  Part  2:  Part of District of Cochrane,  Districts of Muskoka,  Nipissing,  Parry  Sound,  Sudbury,  Timiskaming,  and  Counties  of Southern  Ontario;  Ontario  Geological  Survey,  Mineral  Deposits  Circular  18,  253p.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *