Toburn

Location: Teck Township
Years of Operation: 1917 – 1953
Tons Milled: 1,186,316
Ounces of Gold Producd: 570,659

 

 

 

 

 

Toburn Mine (Past Producer)

MAIN METALS: Au, Ag

LOCATION:  Immediately  east  of  Kirkland  Lake,  in eastern Teck Township and western Lebel Township. No.3  (main)  Shaft  in  patented  claim  L1823.  Lati tude 48.160,  Longitude 80.000 . Map reference: ODM 1945-1, Township of Teck.

GEOLOGY: The Toburn Mine  is the easternmost of the seven contiguous mining properties along the “Main Break”  at  Kirkland  Lake. It lies at the eastern end of  the  main  Algoman  syenite  porphyry  stock  in the  Kirkland  Lake  camp.  The  porphyry  intrudes Timiskaming metasediments (including tuffs, which predominate  toward  the  east).  Other  intrusives  in clude  dike-like bodies of augite syenite and quartz- feldspar porphyry. A few small  minette dikes occur in the northwest corner of the property, and a near vertical  diabase  dike,  about  8  feet  wide,  trends north through the mine workings. The property lies at the eastern end of the Kirkland Lake vein-fault and vein-fracture system. On passing eastward through the main syenite porphyry stock, the  displacement  on  the  various  branches  of  the Kirkland  Lake  Fault  either  decreases  in  magnitude or  dies  out  completely.  The  south  branch  of the Kirkland  Lake  “Main  Break”  is  the  strongest  and most  persistent  structure  in  the  Toburn  Mine.  It is  locally  called  the  South  Vein.  It  dips  steeply south  and  the  south side has been thrust vertically upward  for  a  distance of approximately  350  feet. This fault  is  on  the hanging wall side of a fracture system,  up  to  1,500 feet  in  width, which  extends slightly north of east across the western  part of the property.  This  fracture  system  contains  most  of the  gold-bearing  veins.  It  has  an  overall  southerly dip,  but  individual  breaks  may  range from vertical to almost horizontal. The ore shoots were numerous but generally small. The widths of the gold-bearing veins  were  generally  less  than  8  inches.  The  ore bodies  in  the  porphyry were,  on  the whole, wider than  those  in the sediments. Several  post-ore strike faults  occur  and  there  are two main  post-ore cross faults,  known  as  the  Dike  and  O’Connell  Lake Faults.

OWNERSHIP: Arcadia Minerals Limited.

HISTORY:

a) of the Tough-Oakes Mine:

1912:  “A”  Shaft  (inclined)  to  115  feet  on  No.2 Vein  and  5-stamp  mill  installed  by  C.A.  Foster. 73.85 tons of ore  from  the  shaft and an open cut yielded  1,637  ounces of Au  and  2,300  ounces  of Ag.  This  represents  the  first  production  in  the Kirkland Lake camp.
1913-1919:  “A” Shaft  deepened  to  322 feet with levels  at  85,  171,  247, and 319 feet. “B” Shaft to 666  feet.  Approximately  16,000  feet  of  under ground  development from the two shafts.  In  1914- 1915,  3,706  tons  of ore  yielded  5,524  ounces  of Au  and  6,634  ounces  of Ag.  New mill  installed in 1915  and  production  continued  until  July  1918 when  mine  closed  down.  Mining  resumed  from March  to  June,  1919.  All  work  by  Tough-Oakes Gold  Mines  Limited  (controlled  by  Kirkland  Lake Proprietary  Limited).  Negotiations  for  amalgamation with Burnside begun in 1919. 1921-1922:  Workings  dewatered,  at  least  1,320 feet  of  underground  development,  surface  plant reconditioned, and  125-ton mill installed by Tough- Oakes  Gold  Mines  Limited  (owned  by  Kirkland Lake  Proprietary  (1919)  Limited). All ore  handled through  Burnside  No.3 Shaft.  Some  production  in 1922.

b) of the Burnside Mine:

Pre-1914:  No.1  Shaft to 70 feet, No.2 Shaft to 90 feet with 190 feet of lateral development on the 75- foot  level,  and  500  feet  of  diamond-drilling  by Burnside  Gold  Mines  Limited  (controlled  by Kirk land Lake Proprietary Limited).
1914:  Surface work by Burnside Gold Mines Limit ed. 1917-1918:  No.2 Shaft dewatered and deepened to 255  feet with  555 feet of  lateral  development  on levels  at 90  and  152  feet.  No.3 Shaft to  337 feet with  398  feet  of  lateral  development  on  levels  at 120,  220 and  320  feet.  Mill  installed  but  no  pro duction  recorded.  Work  by  Aladdin Cobalt Mining Company  (under option from Burnside Gold  Mines Limited). c) of the  Tough-Oakes  Burnside  or Toburn  Mine  (an amalgamation  of  the  Tough-Oakes  and  Burnside properties):
1923-1928:  Burnside No.3 Shaft deepened to 1,025 feet  with  levels  at  667,  792,  893  and  1,018  feet. Interior  shaft  from the 1,090-foot level  to a depth of  1,900 feet with  six  levels.  Levels  at  1,225  and 1,345 feet opened up by an  inclined winze. Under ground  development  and  diamond-drilling totalled 30,336  and  5,620  feet  respectively.  Production continuous from  1924  and  1928. Work by Tough- Oakes Burnside Gold Mines Limited.
1931-1953:  During  this  period  the  mine  was  ser viced  by  two  surface  shafts, the Tough-Oakes “A” Shaft  and  Burnside  No.3  Shaft,  and  a  subshaft which was collared on the 1,090-foot level and took the workings to a depth of 2,475 feet. Underground development was carried out on 23 levels and, dur ing  the  life  of  the  mine,  totalled:  52,799  feet  of drifting,  22,984  feet  of  crosscutting,  and  16,624 feet of raising.  In  addition  to this,  long drifts and crosscuts  were  extended  into  neighbouring  properties  in  which  Toburn  held  an  interest.  Produc tion  began  in  1932  and  was  continuous  until  the mine closed in 1953.
1956-1957:  Arcadia  Nickel  Corporation  Limited, the  owner  of  the  property,  arranged  to  have  Syl vanite  Gold  Mines  Limited drift  into  the property from the Sylvanite 5,500 foot level.

PRODUCTION:

 

Year Gold Silver Ore Milled Recovered Grade
(ounces) (ounces) (tons)  (ounce of Au per ton)
1912-1918, 1922,
1924-1928, 1932-1953
570,659 135,238 1,186,316 0.48

REFERENCES:

CIMM  1948,  Structural  Geology  of Canadian Ore Deposits, Vol.1, p.644-653.
GSC 1936, Memoir 192, p.54,55.
ODM 1948, Vol.57, pt.5, p.184-188.
ODM 1954, Vol.63, pt.2, p.96, 97.
ODM 1964, GC11,p.48.
ODM 1964, MRC3, p.69, 70.

Gordon, J.B., Lovell, H.L., de Grijs, Jan, and Davie, R.F.
1979:  Gold  Deposits of Ontario,  Part  2:  Part of District of Cochrane,  Districts of Muskoka,  Nipissing,  Parry  Sound,  Sudbury,  Timiskaming,  and  Counties  of Southern  Ontario;  Ontario  Geological  Survey,  Mineral  Deposits  Circular  18,  253p.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *