Teck – Hughes

Location: Teck Township
Years of Operation: 1917 -1968
Tons Milled: 9,565,302
Ounces of Gold Produced: 3,709,007

 

 

 

 

Tech HughesCopyrighgt: G. Hamden

Tech Hughes
Copyrighgt: G. Hamden

 

 

Reproduced with permission of Kirkland Lake Gold Inc.

Teck-Hughes

The Teck-Hughes mine is bounded on the west by Kirkland Lake Gold and by the Lake Shore mine to the east. The mine began production in 1917 and had produced 3,688,664 ounces of gold at a recovered grade of 0.38 oz/T when the mine ceased operating in 1968.

The mine ranks third among the seven mines of Kirkland Lake in terms of total ounces produced, but had an average recovered grade considerably below the camp wide average of 0.46 oz/T. In the latter years of operation the mine relied heavily on lower grade “slough ore” which had caved from the hangingwalls of open stopes.

In 1911 three claims (Tl 6624-Tl 6626), which were to form the most important part of the mine, were staked by Stephen Orr and three neighboring claims (Ll 238-Ll 240) were staked by John Reamsbottom. In 1912 gold was discovered in claim Ll 238 by James A. Hughes and Sandy McIntyre. Prospecting and surface trenching were carried out by Teck-Hughes Gold Mines Limited and a 35-foot shaft was sunk.

In 1913 No.1 Shaft was sunk to 212 feet and 203 feet of drifting was carried out on the 200-foot level. No.2 Shaft was sunk to a depth of 75 feet with 500 feet of lateral development on the 75-foot level by Teck-Hughes Gold Mines Limited. From 1914 to 1915 the No.3 Shaft was sunk to 124 feet and an 85-foot winze was developed from the second level. 1,360 feet of lateral development in No.1 and No.3 shafts were carried out by Nipissing Mining Company (under option from Teck-Hughes Gold Mines Limited).

From 1915-1917 the underground workings were dewatered and the No.3 shaft was deepened to 400 feet with a winze to 600 feet, and 1,804 feet of lateral development was carried out. In 1917, a 50-ton mill was installed and milling began. This work was completed by Teck-Hughes Gold Mines Limited.

As with other major mines in Kirkland Lake, the most important structure at the Teck-Hughes mine is the Main Break. This structure and the veins related to it yielded most of the gold in the mine. The mineralized structure was mined as the No.3 vein from surface to the 6105 foot level, the deepest level at the mine. Longitudinal sections reveal that stoping on the No.3 vein was almost continuous from surface to near the 3000 foot level. Diamond drilling defined the Main Break down to 6650 feet, however there was insufficient ore to warrant development below the 6105 foot level. Grade and production both decreased below 3 000 feet. This decrease in ore with depth has been suggested to be directly related to a decrease in the proportion of augite syenite to syenite porphyry with depth (Charlewood, 1964).

The No.4 break lies about 600 feet south of the Main Break and is generally believed to be the westerly extension of the South (No.1) vein of Lake Shore. Although this structure contains some low gold values, no ore has been mined along it in the Teck-Hughes mine. This fault may merge with the No.6 break at depth and has never been identified in the western portions of the mine.

From 1938 onwards, veins in the hanging wall of the Main Break became an important source or ore. These hanging wall veins are typical of other such veins in the Kirkland Lake camp which drape off the Main Break and dip flat to the south, generally between 30 and 50 degrees.

The relatively late discovery and subsequent mining of hanging wall veins can be attributed to a number of factors. Firstly, mining was concentrated on the Main Break where stoping was extensive, and easily traced. Secondly, many of the initial diamond drill holes testing for ore associated with the Main Break were not extended any significant distance into the hangingwall. In later years, improvements in diamond drilling and reduced drilling costs, increasing realization of the significance of the hangingwall veins, and the depletion of Main Break ore led to more and more exploration holes probing the hangingwall of the Main Break revealing numerous significant ore-bearing veins

The above summary of the history of the Teck-Hughes Mine is taken from: STILL, A.C. 2001 Structural setting and controls of gold mineralization at the Macassa Mine, Kirkland Lake, Ontario. Unpublished Masters of Science Thesis, Queens University 151p

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Teck-Hughes Mine (Past Producer)

MAIN METALS:

Au, Ag

LOCATION:

Approximately  3/4  mile  west of Kirkland Lake,  in  east-central  Teck  Township.  Central  and Orr  Shafts  in  patented  claim  T16626;  No.1  and No.3 Shafts  in  patented claim  L1238; South Shaft in  patented claim T16625.  Latitude 48.150,  Longi tude 80.050 . Map reference: ODM 1945-1, Township of Teck.

GEOLOGY:

The  property  is underlain by Timiskaming metasediments  (including  tuffs)  intermingled with elongate  bodies of Algoman  intrusive rocks. North of the  “Main  Break”  at  surface,  these rocks strike N650 E  or  roughly  parallel  to the  break;  south  of fault  system  they  trend  approximately  N800E. Most  of  the  mine  workings  are  in  the  intrusive rocks. The  main  intrusive  body  is  an  irregularly  shaped mass,  sill-like  in  outline  and  consisting  of  augite syenite  intermingled with  syenite  and  syenite  por phyry.  The  syenite  is  confined to  the upper levels and  is  part of the  faulted westward-pitching  pipe- like  body  that  crosses  the  neighbouring  Kirkland Lake  Gold  and  Macassa  properties.  The  augite syenite  and  syenite  porphyry  are  intricately  inter- fingered  throughout  the  entire  mine.  Because  the proportion  of  syenite  porphyry  to  augite  syenite in  the vicinity  of the  “Main Break” increases with depth,  most  df the workings  in  the  lower  half of the  mine  are  in  syenite  porphyry.  A  diabase dike, approximately 80 feet in width, strikes north across the  property  and  dips  750W.  It  cuts  all  the  rock types,  veins,  and  ore  bodies,  but  has  been  offset 179 by later fault movements on the “Main Break” and subsidiary faults. The  most  important  structure  in  the  mine  is  the Kirkland  Lake  Fault or  “Main  Break”, which dips 75-800S. The bulk of the gold production has come from  the  No.3  Vein  system  associated  with  this fault.  The  Teck-Hughes  veins  generally  contain quartz, although the amount may vary greatly. Most of the subsidiary veins branch off the hanging wall of the “Main Break” and have a flatter dip than that structure.  An  exception  is the No.1  Vein, dis covered  by Sandy Mcintyre. It appears  in outcrops about 100 feet north of the main fault and joins it at  depth.  Approximately  600 feet to the  south,  a parallel  structure  occurs;  it  is  called  the  No.4 Break and  is generally considered to be the westerly extension of the South  (No.1)  Vein from the Lake Shore Mine, but it has produced no ore in the Teck- Hughes  Mine.  Another  prominent structure  is  the No.6  Break  in the west end of the mine. This  is an extension of a  structure of the same name from the Kirkland Lake Gold Mine. The  veins  and  ore  bodies are not greatly disturbed by post-ore movement. Where displacement occurs, the amount is never more than 45 feet.

OWNERSHIP:

Lamaque  Mining  Company  Limited (wholly  owned  subsidiary  of  Teck  Corporation Limited).

HISTORY:

1911: Three claims (T16624-T16626), which were to form the most important part of the mine, staked  by Stephen  Orr.  Three  neighbouring claims (L1238-L1240) staked by John Reamsbottom.
1912:  Gold discovered  in claim  L1238 by James A. Hughes  and  Sandy  Mcintyre.  Prospecting,  surface trenching,  and  35-foot  shaft  by Teck-Hughes Gold Mines Limited.
1913:  No.1  Shaft to 212 feet with 203 feet of drift ing on the 200-foot level  and No.2 Shaft to 75 feet with 500 feet of lateral development on the 75-foot level by Teck-Hughes Gold Mines Limited.
1914-1915:  No.3  Shaft to 124 feet, 85-foot winze from second  level, and 1,360 feet of lateral develop ment  in  No.1  and No.3 Shafts by Nipissing Mining Company  (under  option  from  Teck-Hughes  Gold Mines Limited).
1915-1917: Underground workings dewatered, No.3 Shaft to 400 feet with winze to 600 feet, and 1,804 feet  of  lateral  development.  In  1917,  50-ton  mill installed  and  milling  begun.  Work  by Teck-Hughes Gold Mines Limited.
1918-1968:  The  mine  was  serviced by three shafts (the No.1 Shaft having been inactive for many years) and seven winzes, only two of which were active in 1968.  The  inclined  No.3  winze  took  the workings to a  depth of 6,148 feet. Underground development was  carried out on 50 levels and, during the life of the mine, totalled:  148,007 feet of drifting, 58,584 feet of crosscutting, and 95,216 feet of raising. Pro duction  was  continuous  from  1917  to  1968  and attained  a  maximum  in  1932  with  an  average  of 1,300 tons  per  day  being  milled.  Operations, on  a salvage basis since 1951, ceased in 1968.

PRODUCTION:

Year Gold Silver Ore Milled Recovered Grade
(ounces)  (ounces) (tons) (ounce of Au per ton)
1917-1968  3,688,664 501,657 9,686,825 0.38

REFERENCES:

CIMM  1948,  Structural  Geology  of Canadian Ore Deposits, Vol.1, p.644-653.
ODM  1920,  Vol.29,  pt.4,  p.29-32  (Orr,  Teck Hughes).
ODM 1923, Vol.32, pt.4, p.31-34. ODM 1928, Vol.37, pt.2, p.98-111.
ODM 1948, Vol.57, pt.5, p.141-149.
ODM 1964, GC11, p.29-32.
ODM 1964, MRC3, p.66, 67.
ODM 1970, Vol.78, p.33-35.
Resident  Geologist’s  Files,  Ontario Ministry of Na tural Resources, Kirkland Lake.

Gordon, J.B., Lovell, H.L., de Grijs, Jan, and Davie, R.F.
1979:  Gold  Deposits of Ontario,  Part  2:  Part of District of Cochrane,  Districts of Muskoka,  Nipissing,  Parry  Sound,  Sudbury,  Timiskaming,  and  Counties  of Southern  Ontario;  Ontario  Geological  Survey,  Mineral  Deposits  Circular  18,  253p.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *