Ronda

Location: Macmurchy Township
Years of Operation: 1939
Tons Milled: 24,592
Ounces of Gold Produced: 2,727

 

 

 

 

 

Ronda Mine (Past Producer)

MAIN METALS: Au, Ag

LOCATION:

Approximately  4 miles northeast of Shining Tree, straddling the Macmurchy-Churchill town ship  boundary  between  the  1-  and  2-mile  posts, in  southwestern  Macmurchy  Township.  Highway 560 crosses the property. Claims TRS2529, TRS2530, TRS3765,  TRS3771  and  TRS4078  in  Macmurchy Township  and  TRS4108  in  Churchill  Township. Shafts  in  claim TRS2530.  Latitude 47.600,  Longi tude 81.200 . Map reference: ODM 2365, Macmurchy and Tyrrell Townships (Triton Explorations Ltd.).

GEOLOGY:

Keewatin-type mafic to intermediate meta volcanics  are  cut  by  north-trending  diabase  dikes. Gold occurs in the Ribble Vein which strikes north and  dips 600W. The vein has been  intensely folded and some drag folds pass into small faults. The average width of the vein is about 4 feet, although a 23- foot width  of quartz and schist has been  reported. The wall rock consists of chloritic schist. Moiled  samples  have  yielded  values of 0.50 ounce of  Au  per  ton  over  an  average  width  of 4.2  feet and  0.39  ounce  of  Au  per  ton  over  an  average width of 4.1 feet.

OWNERSHIP:

Triton  Explorations  Limited  until  Sep tember 12, 1974. Present status unknown.

HISTORY:

1912:  Gold  discovered  by  two prospectors who had been grubstaked by A. Ribble.
1913: Trenching by The Sharon Mines Limited.
1916: Surface work by G.R. Rogers.
1919:  Two-compartment vertical No.  1  Shaft sunk to  150 feet with  71  feet of crosscutting on a  level at 100 feet by Wasapika Gold Mines Limited.
1922-1923:  No.  1  Shaft deepened to 325 feet with new  levels at 200 and 300 feet, and approximately 1,200 feet of  lateral development by Ribble Mines Limited.
1934-1935:  No.  1  Shaft dewatered  and  resampled by  Neville  Canadian  Gold  Mines  Limited.  Shaft again  dewatered  and  30-ton  mill  installed  by  Bra- mor Mines (Ontario) Limited.
1935-1939: Vertical three-compartment winze sunk from  300-foot  level  to  a  depth  of 700 feet with levels  at  425,  550,  and  675  feet.  This  was  then extended  to  the  surface  and  used  as  a  shaft. Total lateral development work until the time that operations  ceased  in  1939 was  4,969  feet. During 1938 and  1939  there  was  5,401  feet  of  underground diamond-drilling in 22 holes and 535 feet of surface diamond-drilling  in  3  holes.  150-ton  mill  installed in  1938. All work  by  Ronda  Gold Mines Limited.

PRODUCTION:

 Year Gold Silver Ore Milled Recovered Grade
(ounces) (ounces)  (tons) (ounce of Au per ton)
1939 2,727 4,830 24,592 0.11

REFERENCES:

ODM  1920,  Vol.29,  pt.1,  p.90  (Wasa- pika); pt.3, p.45,46 (Wasapika).
ODM 1926, Vol.35, pt.6, p.92,93 (Wasapika).
ODM  1935, Vol.44, pt.7, p.40, 41  (Neville Canadi an Gold Mines Limited).
ODM 1940, Vol.49, pt.1, p.193. ODM  1977,  GR 152,  p.53-55  (Triton  Explorations Limited).
Resident  Geologist’s  Files,  Ontario  Ministry  of Natural Resources, Kirkland Lake.

Gordon, J.B., Lovell, H.L., de Grijs, Jan, and Davie, R.F.
1979:  Gold  Deposits of Ontario,  Part  2:  Part of District of Cochrane,  Districts of Muskoka,  Nipissing,  Parry  Sound,  Sudbury,  Timiskaming,  and  Counties  of Southern  Ontario;  Ontario  Geological  Survey,  Mineral  Deposits  Circular  18,  253p.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *