Omega

Location: McVittie Township
Years of Operation: 1913, 1926 – 1928, 1936 – 1947
Tons Milled: 1,615,081
Ounces of Gold Produced: 214,098

 

 

 

 

 

 

Omega MineCirca 1936

Omega Mine
Circa 1936

 

Omega Mine (Past Producer)

MAIN METALS:

Au, Ag

LOCATION:  Approximately  1^  miles  north-northeast of Larder Lake village, Vz mile east of Pancake Lake, in  southern  McVittie Township.  No.1  Shaft  in pa tented  claim  LS191;  No.2 Shaft  in patented claim L1794. Latitude 48.120,  Longitude 79.690 . Map reference: ODM 50b, Township of McVittie.

GEOLOGY:

East-  to  northeast-trending  Timiskaming metasediments  and  metavolcanics  are  in  fault con tact,  along  the  Larder  Lake  “Break”,  with  Kee watin metavolcanics to the south. Syenite underlies the  southeastern  part of the  property, and smaller bodies  of  syenite  and  related  rocks  are  intrusive into the metasediments and metavolcanics. The ore horizon lies within the Larder Lake “Break” which consists of a  wide zone of carbonate-chlorite schist  containing  a  later graphitic fault and a  band of  carbonate  rock  (“dolomite”).  Most  of  the  de veloped  ore  occurred as  large  irregular replacement bodies within  two  narrow  dacitic lava flows. Typi cally, the ore material was reddish  and greyish rock containing  considerable  fine-grained  sulphide  min eralization and cut by a few narrow fractures filled with quartz and calcite. In addition, a small amount of ore  was  found in “dolomite” at the east end of the  mine.  In  this orebody, gold values were associ ated  with  parallel  and  interlocking quartz stringers containing some sulphide mineralization. ECONOMIC  FEATURES:  The  tailings  dump  contains approximately  60,000  tons  of  material  averaging 0.1  ounce of Au per ton (Resident Geologist’s Files, Ontario  Ministry  of  Natural  Resources,  Kirkland Lake).

OWNERSHIP:

Open  for staking as of January  1,  1960.

HISTORY:

1914:  Gold  discovered  in  claim  L1794  by Jack Costello.
1921-1928:  Three-compartment  shaft  (Omega  No. 1) to  1,200 feet with 8,960 feet of lateral develop ment  on  levels  at  125-foot intervals by Crown  Re serve  Mines  Limited.  Three-compartment  shaft (Omega No.2) to 1,050 feet with at least 1,200 feet of  lateral development on seven  levels by Canadian Associated  Goldfields  Mining  Company  Limited. Small  amounts of  ore  milled by Canadian Associa ted  Goldfields  during  1926-1928.  During  1922- 1923,  unknown  amount  of  diamond-drilling  by Coniagas Mines Limited and 2,000 feet of diamond- drilling by Anglo-Canadian Explorers Limited.
1934: Sampling by Noranda Mines Limited.
1936-1947:  No.1  Shaft  deepened  to  1,592  feet, winze  from  1,550  to  2,000  feet  with  three  new levels,  and  72,664  feet  of  underground  develop ment.  Production throughout entire period. Original  300-ton  mill  enlarged  to  handle  500  tons. All work by Omega Gold Mines Limited.
1950:  Surface  diamond-drilling  (footage  and  num ber  of  holes  unknown)  by  Lomega  Gold  Mines Limited.
1966:  Two  diamond-drill  holes  (230  feet)  by  R. Newman.
1968-1972:  Stripping  and  trenching  by  R.  Fernholm, L. Loew, and R. Bustraen.
1973: Stripping by R. Kasner.

PRODUCTION:

Years Gold Silver Ore Milled Recovered Grade
 (ounces)  (ounces)  (tons) (ounce of Au per ton)
1913, 1926-1928,
1936-1947
214,098 29,290  1,615,081 0.13

The  1913  production  was  from  the  Raven  River Mine  being operated by Canadian Associated Gold fields Mining Company Limited.

REFERENCES:

ODM  1924,  Vol.33,  pt.3,  p.11-20 (Pancake  Lake  Area;  Costello  Graphite  Fault; Associated  Goldfields  (Costello  Property);  Crown Reserve). ODM 1941, Vol.50, pt.7, p.82-87. ODM 1964, MRC3, p.58,59.
Resident  Geologist’s  Files,  Ontario Ministry of Na tural  Resources,  Kirkland  Lake:
McVittie  Town ship,  Card  Lake  Copper  Mines  Limited  Prospectus (1972).

Gordon, J.B., Lovell, H.L., de Grijs, Jan, and Davie, R.F.
1979:  Gold  Deposits of Ontario,  Part  2:  Part of District of Cochrane,  Districts of Muskoka,  Nipissing,  Parry  Sound,  Sudbury,  Timiskaming,  and  Counties  of Southern  Ontario;  Ontario  Geological  Survey,  Mineral  Deposits  Circular  18,  253p.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *