Chesterville

Location: McGarry Township
Years of Operation: 1930 – 1952
Tons Milled:  3,260,439
Ounces of Gold Produced: 358,880

 

 

 

 

 

Chesterville Mine (Past Producer)

MAIN METALS: Au, Ag

LOCATION:

Approximately % mile northeast of Virginiatown, immediately northeast of the Kerr-Addison Mine,  in  central  McGarry  Township.  Shaft  and underground  workings  in  patented  claim  L1860 (HF404)  which  is  completely  surrounded by  Kerr-Addison  property.  Remaining  claims  extend  to the  northeast.  Latitude  48.140,  Longitude  79.560. Map reference: ODM 50a, Township of McGarry.
GEOLOGY:

The  property  is  underlain by Timiskaming metasediments  (mainly  greywacke)  and  metavolcanics  (mafic  lava,  trachyte, trachytic  breccia  and agglomerate, and tuff). The regional strike direction isN60-700E. All  of the  orebodies occur  in  claim  T1860 within the  gold-bearing  horizon  of  altered  lavas  and  carbonate  rocks adjacent to the Larder  Lake “break”. This same horizon hosts the Kerr Addison orebodies immediately  to  the  west.  Three  of  the  orebodies consist  of  quartz  stringers  and  disseminated  sulphides  (pyrite with  traces of chalcopyrite, pyrrho tite,  and  magnetite)  in  fine-grained  basaltic  lava.  Gold  values  are  mainly  associated  with  the  sulphides.  The  other three orebodies consist of stockworks of quartz  veins  in  green  siliceous  carbonate rock. The gold occurs  in the native state distributed  erratically throughout the quartz.

OWNERSHIP:

Kerr Addison Mines Limited.

HISTORY:

1906:  50-foot  adit,  50-foot  shaft,  mill  in stalled and a few ounces of gold recovered by Lucky Bay  Mining  Company.  (The  original  source of this information is not known).
1907:  Two 30-foot prospect shafts  in claim T1860 by The Chesterville  Larder  Lake Gold Mining Company Limited.
1937:  Diamond-drilling  program  by  The  Chesterville  Larder  Lake  Gold  Mining  Company  Limited outlined more than 1,000,000 tons of ore.
1938-1952:  Shaft  to  2,799 feet with  53,378 feet of lateral development and 26,293 feet of raising on 18  levels.  500-ton  mill  installed  in  1938; capacity increased  to  700 tons  in  1940.  Operations  ceased in  1952.  All  work  by  Chesterville  Larder  Lake
Gold  Mining  Company  Limited  (name  changed  to Chesterville Mines Limited in 1946).

PRODUCTION:

Years Gold Silver Ore Milled Recovered Grade
(ounces) (ounces) (tons) (ounce of Au per ton)
1939-1952 358,615 19,371 3,260,439 0.11

REFERENCES:

ODM 1924, Vol.33, pt.3, p.23, 24.
ODM 1941, Vol.50, pt.7, p.59-63.
ODM 1953, Vol.62, pt.2, p.14-16.
ODM 1964, MRC3, p.21,22.

Gordon, J.B., Lovell, H.L., de Grijs, Jan, and Davie, R.F.
1979:  Gold  Deposits of Ontario,  Part  2:  Part of District of Cochrane,  Districts of Muskoka,  Nipissing,  Parry  Sound,  Sudbury,  Timiskaming,  and  Counties  of Southern  Ontario;  Ontario  Geological  Survey,  Mineral  Deposits  Circular  18,  253p.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *